Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Day Two, Movie Two: The People Under The Stairs


Starring:Brandon Adams, Everett McGill, Wendy Robie, AJ Langer, Ving Rhames, Kelly Jo Minter.
Director: Wes Craven

This is another very odd movie.  The title and box art give a whole other impression of what you're about to watch and then things get really weird.  You get two of the weirdest "Twin Peaks" actors, that chick from "My So Called Life" and...other people.  It seems like there's always Ving Rhames.

I do have a vague memory of checking this film out for the first time.  Honestly, I feel like I may have watched it just because Wes Craven's name was all over it.  I do somewhat remember my childhood friend George-who was kind a shithead, really-mentioning that cute girl from "My So-called life" that wasn't Claire Danes (and, really, A.J. Langer is way better looking and, so the internet tells me, is now a Dutchess or something) was in it.  For the kids (or future Aliens from Mars) who are reading this that don't remember life that existed from before 1996 or whatever...Ving Rhames wasn't well known yet (that wouldn't happen until "Pulp Fiction") and for those who don't remember anything before 2003, Ving Rhames was an actor we paid attention to for a few years.

I feel like pre-teen me has a bit of a crush on A.J. Langer.  I did, but mostly from "My So-Called Life."  But I feel like my child self saw this film and dug her.

Observations!

I'm going to give credit to Craven for going to a place that not many would go.  Poverty and people of color?  Progressive, really.

There is a lot of fine acting in this film.  You have A.J. Langer being incredibly sympathetic...our hearts go out to her instantly, or maybe it's just me...and man Wendy Robie and Everett McGill are strange and terrifying.  "Bad girls burn in hell" should NOT be a bumper sticker.  Bad Girls rule.

I'm glad Brandon Adams did get more work (a lot more, so IMDB tells me) after this ends.  He's really excellent in this film.

Craven does hire some great set designers.  The house in this film is really well designed.  I mean, there are some weird dimensions happening...it seems bigger inside than out.  I mean seriously...this house is massive.  But, the place is well furnished and well designed.

Twenty minutes in and they have a great justification for dumb behavior.  Peer Pressure!  The character outright quotes statements from his supposed superiors to justify poor behavior.  That's actually really smart horror screenwriting.

This is certainly a movie that is harder for watch again.  Knowing what's going on does spoil a bunch of stuff.  The entire sequence of Fool in the basement is far more terrifying if you don't know what's going on.  It's still a good scene, but it doesn't have the shock that it should.

"Well, I'm gonna get out.  I'm a whole other thing."  That should be a bumper sticker. It also is the best boast I think I've ever heard.  Fool kinda rocks.

FULL ON GIMP SUIT. Just amazing batshit stuff going on in this film

I'm a little attracted to Wendy Robie.  Is that wrong?  I think that's a little wrong.

Everett McGill may as well make Three Stooges noises.  It's amazing.

I think the most terrifying thing about this movie is the abuse.  Not just the physical stuff-though that's terrifying, too- but the emotional abuse.  You think of things from Alice's point of view and you start to go mad.  Luckily, I A)already am kinda mad and B)have had whiskey.  But, really: you are raised by psychos, never see the outside world, and then they throw you in blood and then toss you into boiling water and they tell you that YOU are crazy...terrifying shit. A.J. Langer is giving the best performance of her career here.  Her reactions are heart-breaking and soul-wrenching.

Poor Roach.  Gut shot.  "Reservoir Dogs" tells me that's a terrible way to go.

It's not Prince:The Dog's fault.  He was raised by crazy people, after all.  #blametheownernothedog
Poor Prince.

How big is this house, really?  It's way too big.  Also #nevershootyourgunoutsidethehouse.

I'm sensing a theme in these films: Cops suck at their jobs and are, in general, morons.

Personal note: Having allergies in Maine this time of year?  Horrible.  I may, in fact, be dying.  But I suffer for you.  Appreciate me.

Fool doesn't get enough respect.  This is one resourceful kid.  He's going on my short list of characters to use in some sort of contemporary horror flick "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

Holy shit, creepiest thing ever.  Alice is pretending to be stuck to the wall, says "Please let me down, Daddy" and The Man grunts and...just lightly touches his crotch.  Creepy.  Subtle and good film-making...but creepy.

As great as Fool is, I feel like this movie is really about Alive and her moments of empowerment.  Her cry of "Go to hell!" might be one of the greatest moments of the film.  Also, her bursting through the ceiling and knocking "Mother" out before the community.  Fool might be a catalyst, and the film follows him, but I feel like Alice brings a full-circle arc. There is a theme of community and togetherness...but in the end, Alice finds herself after a lifetime of abuse.  And I feel like we should celebrate that.

Have I mentioned how much I respect and love the performances of Wendy Robie and Everett McGill in this film?  Because I really should.  Especially Robie, who does career best in this thing.  It's really an excellent film.

The assault on "Mother" is really excellent stuff.  It only lasts a moment, but it's one of the best "horde" moments I've ever seen on film.



Final Thoughts:  It's probably Wes Craven's most under-rated film.  He has some great films and some bad films, but I feel like "The People Under The Stairs" is that quiet little masterpiece that makes film-makers legitimate. Solidly paced, unique in themes and style, and well performed, it's the type of film I think any true artist would strive to produce.  It also makes some wonderful statements about race, class, and childhood that makes it one of the most socially relevant horror flicks ever put out there.  Truly a spectacular piece.

Final Rating: 3 and half stars,








No comments:

Post a Comment