Sunday, September 13, 2015

Movie 15: The Exorcism of Emily Rose

The last movie I saw as a Virgin?
Starring: Jennifer Carpenter, Tom Wilkinson, Laura Linney, Campbell Scott, Colm Feore.
Director: Scott Derrickson

I'm not entirely sure if it was my first time, but I know I saw this for the first time before I had sex with the girl I lost my virginity to.  Actually, I don't think it was.  I think we'd had sex before that.  But we did have sex afterwards.  In a cemetery. She was into some...odd stuff.

I liked the movie, though.  I remember that.  It was genuinely kinda frightening in the theater, at least I thought so.  The aforementioned date liked it for other reasons, mostly because she was into that demonic sort of thing.  Which was fine by me because she liked horror flicks, even if she frightened me a little.  Life is a funny thing, filled with interesting moments of stupidity that we learn from.  Things were probably a lot easier back then.

But, I digress.  Often, and without warning.

So, "Emily Rose!"  Probably best known for spring boarding the career of Scott Derrickson, who would later bore us with "Deliver Us From Evil" and confuse us with "Sinister."  Soon enough he'll do something to us with "Doctor Strange."  I'm cautiously optimistic because, well, he did make "Exorcism of Emily Rose."

The legal battle part of this movie loses some people, I think.  It was certainly an odd choice but really works as a very solid device.  It provides such a nice framework, and contrast to the over-the-top events.  It is strange to make Tom Wilkinson (who we'll get to, he's an extraordinary actor) the emotional center of the story, considering the terrifying things that happen to poor Emily, and Laura Linney as the audience proxy.  The movie makes the decision to put us in the role of a skeptic, which is very bold and presumptuous, but a fascinating tactic.  Many of us are, but we take horror movies on a sort of faith.  Exorcisms are fodder for horror, after all, and we have no trouble believing them on the silver screen...but people believe in this in real life.  Of course, this film is based on a story of an actual alleged exorcism (albeit from Albania, I think, certainly not from rural America), and asks us to recognize that, if nothing else, a girl actually did die.  "Based on a true story" is usually a device I can't usually tolerate, but this one does it in such a moral and responsible way that I can't help but I dig it.   

There's a maturity to this film that isn't found that frequently in horror pictures.  Partially it's because, due to the courtroom drama elements, an argument could be made against it being entirely a horror film.  In fact, I'd wager people who aren't really into horror would enjoy it.  For my money, if a chick is doing weird bendy shit and yelling obscenities at a Priest, it's a horror film.

Already one major thing has impressed me.  We have a court room drama that is much like all other court room dramas save for one thing: The Defense Attourney is not a plucky hero, and the Public Defender is not a villanous dickweed.  Campbell Scott actually gives a very understated, honest performance as a pious man who truly believes he is doing the right thing as a prosecutor. Laura Linney, on the other hand, is only interested in her own benefit from the trial and no personal interest whatsoever.  The film does allow itself to backslide into that more familiar court room tropes, which is unfortunate but not entirely unexpected given the emotional nature of the events within.  

Before I start talking about the exorcism fireworks, which are quite excellent indeed, I want to give a quick shout out to the amazing Tom Wilkinson.  I mentioned before that it was an odd choice to make him the emotional focus of the story.  I take that back.  Given Wilkinson and his ability to just pierce emotional barriers with audience members, it makes perfect sense.  The man could make a reading of "Twilight" dramatic and effective.  If you haven't done so, I totally recommend "Michael Clayton", which Wilkinson received an Oscar nomination for.  It's quite possibly one of the greatest performances I've ever seen.  We'll get to praising Jennifer Carpenter soon enough.

So, Possession stuff!  It's what we're here to talk about right, given that this a horror blog?  Well, it's good stuff.  Much like the rest of the film, it's rooted in real honest emotion which is because of Carpenter...so I guess we're gonna talk about her a bit now after all.  First of all, she gives an excellent performance as a very vulnerable and sweet young woman.  Then there's her amazing physical skills, which is actually what I'll put in a pin in for now.  The gimmicks of the invisible rape and weird fucked up faces are effective but they're nothing special.  Now, her eyes all wide and red, reaching desperately for the cross she believes is her salvation while physically being bent over backwards to prevent her reaching it?  THAT is incredible and moving stuff.

The boyfriend is a heckuva character.  I mentioned when I discussing "Scream 2" a bit about boyfriends often being shitheels in horror flicks.  But here's Jason-implied to have been some sort of bad boy who fell in total and complete once-in-a-lifetime love with a quiet, sweet, catholic farmgirl.  So complete was this love that, when faced with unimaginable horror, he still reached out to her as she desperately seeks his closeness.  If that ain't the forever kind of love, I'll eat my hat.  I've been in love maybe once or twice...but full-on possession?  I don't know if I have that kind of stomach.  I'd like to think I do, and heck I sometimes think that I'd totally stick through it for a total stranger if it came to it (at least I hope I'm that kind of man), but I can't really be sure.

One flaw in this film: I don't need Laura Linney and Wilkinson being bothered by demonic forces.  It doesn't do much for the story, save push Linney toward a place that other events push her towards anyway.  For example, I like the "Oh, that guy I got off that I mentioned earlier in the film?  Murdered a couple people.  Bummer" bit that occurs right before.  However, Wilkinson manages to make "The forces of darkness are working against you, don't let them" actually work.

I think my favorite scene in the film is when the boyfriend wakes up and she's all twisted up.  It's such a chilling image.  I think it's because you can put yourself in it.  Everybody, Ka willing, wakes up next to somebody at some point, and you can imagine waking up and just seeing that
THIS.

and freaking out.  So, here, we talk a bit about Jennifer Carpenter's considerable physical skills.  Because she actually did that.  It wasn't a dummy, that was actually her.  That's incredible.  

Then she eats bugs.  Because of course she eats bugs.  But again, similar effect: you walk into the room of a loved one and they eat bugs and shriek horrible noises at you.  

Nice use of POV with Father Moore facing the demon for the first time.  Their exchange is very generic, but...again, the actors involved can make it work.  "I am the one who dwells within."  "I am the one who comes in his name."

Linney does give a pretty decent performance here.  She really does.  I feel like she's often miscast ("The Mothman Prophecies" anyone?), but she does nail it here.  She's great with intensity and severity. 

The explanation of Father Moores testimony("I think a jury will find you sincere.") makes perfect sense to me.  I feel like even I, an admitted atheist(agnostic on some days, like when I watch movies about Exorcisms), would buy that.  Most Men (and Women, for that matter, the Methodist Minister that Baptized me was a Woman) of God I've met have been very interesting, compassionate and kind people.  Hell, my Philosophy Professor (who I greatly admire, and should visit again) was a former Jesuit.  He was amazing.  Charity work, taught in one-room schoolhouse in Africa, decided to quit the Priesthood because he fell in love and had three beautiful children...decided to take a job teaching at a community college because he actually believes in the nature of Philosophy.  Great man.  I should visit him.  Anyway.  

I'm pretty sure Emilys sisters are scarred for life.  Hey, they let the boyfriend participate in the exorcism!  Neat.  Actually, from what I've read on the subject (which is a little more than average, I think), this ritual is a little closer to what is really done in "normal" exorcisms.  Aww, Satan, leave the kitties alone!

Again, Carpenter shows her chops.  In the "Scariest Movie Moments" documentary/special/thing, they even mention a cameraman who actually believed Carpenter actually became possessed.  Carpenter herself as limited memory of the scene: "Somebody told me, be mad at him" is what she suggests.  Derrickson himself: "Jennifer, who tends to get a little lost in her performance choices..."  God, she's electric.  

Man...that is quite an exorcism scene.

Wilkinson is excellent.  With no flashbacks, he still makes us entirely buy what he's saying.  His voice breaks as he describes her desire to "see it through."  Such an amazing actor.  

Oh, man, even I flinched when Linneys boss throws her serial killer defense in her face.  I actually said, out loud, "oooooh, ouch!"  Linney makes "People can change!" work.  Lot of bad dialogue that is made work by extraordinary actors in this flick.  

Fog is such a simple effect.  But it works so well, doesn't it?  It's an easy metaphor, but it works.  And, purely from a character perspective...well, martyrdom is always an effective choice. 

I think it would be a far different but equally interesting film is it was told from the perspective of the Prosecutor.  Campbell Scott gives a really excellent and committed performance.  

Bumper sticker idea: "Drink every time you hear Gambutrol."

I like the ending...even if it is kind of a cop-out, really.  I haven't researched the real case at all.  No idea how stuff ended up.  But, hey, it makes a nice hollywood ending.  

Final Thoughts: I'm not sure there's much else to say.  The film tackles a very difficult subject:science vs. Faith.  It can't really make a final verdict in the end without compromising itself.  That being said, there are excellent performances, strong horror scenes and a fairly compelling court room drama on top of it all.  There are short-comings: the film can't resist falling into certain tropes by the end, and the attacks on characters during the courtroom side of things is tacked on.  But, hey, it's about more than those things in the end.  It's one of the stronger possession flicks I've come across.  

Final rating: 3 and a half stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment