Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Movie 9: Scream

The best and worst thing to happen to Horror.

Starring: Never Campbell, David Arquette, Courtney Cox, Skeet Ulrich, Matthew Lilliard, Rose McGowan, Jamie Kennedy.
Dir: Wes Craven


I have strong feelings about this film.  I saw it in the theater, fell for the beginning question trick (which shows how strong it was for a viewer) and said Jason, and generally dug the movie as a horror geek.  Then the internet went nuts for it by going on and on about how it "revitalized" the genre and all that and I realized that the film was successful in all the wrong ways.  Sure, it pointed out all the tropes and was sort of an "inside joke" but, sadly, never really talked about the whys of horror films.  It discussed the whole virgin element, and the stupid decisions characters make, but doesn't talk about the central metaphor involved.  Later I'd watch it again and find myself still enjoying it and, as I got older, realized it was rightfully iconic...even though I still feel it did more harm than good.  People still feel like they're some sort of horror expert from watching it and, usually, are anything but and have little to no understanding of the genre on any meaningful level.  But, let's watch it again, and see what enjoyment is to be had.

The opening of this film really is one of the strongest slasher movie sequences in the history of the genre.  If nothing else, "Scream" can boast that.  It plays with the meta stuff early, working with our knowledge that Drew Barrymore is a big name star and then subsequently killing her off, and name dropping some key horror flicks(being unnecessarily mean to the "Nightmare" franchise, by the way-sour grapes, Wes) to make sure we understand that horror movies are a thing in the reality of the film.  It's simple, but it's smart.  Also, how scary is the ghostface the first time we see it?  It's really a terrifying image early on...it's been somewhat diminished over time, and it became so iconic very quickly but that first time it's pretty intense.  

I still remember being in the theater and hearing a breathless Woman shout "Throw the phone at her!" when Poor Casey Becker sees her Parents and attempts to get their attention.  I remember laughing a little because I kinda thought the same thing...it was probably the moment (aside from my saying "Jason" to myself when the Killers ask for the killer on "Friday the 13th") that I realized how effective the opener really was...kinda noticed I was a little breathless, too.

Billy's dialogue is cringe-worthy at times, though.  Who talks like that?  I'm the most movie-saturated guy there is but I've never said "We were R rated on our way to NC-17 but now we're sort of edited for television" or anything close to it.  Lends some credence to the theory that "Scream" was originally written as a straight-forward comedy.  Killer cover of "Don't Fear The Reaper," though.  I still listen to that version sometimes.

I still don't know how to feel about Neve Campbell's performance.  She embodies the right amount of "girl next door" with just a little but of edge (she does flash her breasts at Billy, after all)...but there's still something wooden about her.  Maybe it's because I still feel like they were trying way too hard with her.  The sweater tied about her waist, the ponytail, the conservative t-shirt...a little overkill on wholesome if you ask me...but I do have to remember how dated this film actually is now.  In fact, I really need to keep that in mind more than anything else.  It's nearly twenty years old now, after all...jesus, it's nearly twenty years old?!  I'm getting so, so old.  They're all dressed very nineties.

The group scene in the quad is really good.  The dialogue is quick, characters are easily established-Billy is broody, Tatum is talky, Stu stupid (get it?  Oh, kinda lazy, guys) and Randy is funny and vibrant (you could say that Randy is randy).  Alliterative characterization!  Interesting but kinda silly.  It's a nice, not too on the nose, variation on those group of friends moments in horror flicks.  

Do you think a brand new viewer of this film would really get it?  I feel like they'd be confused by the fact that they have, like, landlines.  I mean, look at the phone Neve has in her hand...it's massive.  Honestly, one of the lines that irritates me the most just occurred.  Sydney outright throws out the standard definition of what a horror film is and dresses it down: it's the attitude that so many people have about the genre and yet have never really watched anything...except maybe for "Scream."

David Arquette was WCW World Champion.  Just wanted to remind you.  It was awful.  Makes Duey look like Gregory Peck.  And Duey just shrieked when Sydney screamed.  Y'know, I get the joke on Duey (over the course of this blog, I've discussed Craven's general disdain for law enforcement...it's seriously in every single one of his movies: either they're ridiculous and inept, or outright villains) but...the rest of the police allow Tatum to just storm around the station doing whatever she wants?  They kinda suck.

I just snickered at Skeet Ulrich's performance in the police station.  For a guy protesting his innocence, he looks like a psychopath.  Of course, spoiler alert (and seriously, I hope you're not reading this without having seen the flick because I'd question your...I dunno, everything), Billy isn't innocent. 

Favorite character might be the cameraman, Kenny.  His snide commentary on Gale Weathers (get it?!) might be the best dialogue in the film.  The look of happiness on his face when Gale says "I could save a man" shows a bunch of character, especially when she turns it around and makes it all about her and his face falls.  Good stuff.

Holy crap, expository news sequence!  Man, Craven leans on that A LOT.  Every movie has expository news reports and inept police.  Do you think Liev Schrieber knew that little cameo would be his big break?  He's in a half second of footage in said expository report and gets beefed up later...

He he, "I think you should get over that" is a hilarious thing for a guy to say to his Girlfriend. Who was nearly murdered the night before.  Justified by his murderous nature, but still...

Henry Winkler is great in this.  And actually is part of one of the most realistic moments in the film: those classmates should be expelled for that sort of behavior.  I've never been in a girls restroom, but I've known a lot of girls...I don't think the ladies room scene rings true.  I know that there's a lot of mean people in the world but that rundown of Sydney always seemed abnormally cruel.  Little thing in that scene, though:  The blonde discussing suicide actually has a little scar on her wrist...like maybe she attempted suicide?  I can't believe that to be an accident.

Woodsboro High has pretty crappy bathrooms.  But their janitor is apparently Wes Craven cosplaying as Freddy.  So I guess that all tracks.

The other most realistic thing in this movie:  "All classes are suspended until further notice."  Students yell, yay!  "Also, there's a curfew."  Students groan.  Y'know, not to be ghoulish, but a student was murdered in my High School and, being in a relatively small town, it was a huge deal.  There was a huge feeling of grief all over campus.  I didn't know the girl myself, and I do remember friends of mine lamenting how big a deal was being made over it at the time...I don't remember any pranks or anything being played, nor much laughter being uttered...but there were probably gossips and people saying mean things.  So maybe the scene in the ladies bathroom plays a bit more real than I originally assumed.  

I was never sure what to make of the Principals murder.  Seems kinda tacked on.  But the funny thing about this franchise (and it even goes for the TV show, which I still can't decide is actually good or not) is anything that seems weak could be blamed on the premise and its desire to be half-spoof.  Most slasher films do have a tacked on murder just to up the scare and body count numbers.  So, maybe it fits?

Another thing that modern audiences might find confusing:  Uh, what is thing called a "video store?"  Reminds me of a "30 Rock" joke: It's like netflix, but you go to a store and pick from a limited selection!  The video store scene is fun, though, if a little over-the-top.  Most of Randys scenes are, though.  It's funny, I feel like I remember him being in this movie more but he doesn't get a lot of screen time.  

Tatums skirt is kinda rad.  That's pretty much it, really.  Her whole outfit is very nineties, but it's still cute.  I'd fall for a girl wearing that...especially if she looked like young Rose McGowan.  Super cute skirt.  I like the hypnotic swirl.

Birdbrain's "Kids of America" is such a cool 90's alt-rock song.  It's not a good song, but it's fun.  It's the other song on this soundtrack I still sometimes throw on my iPod, which is funny because I used to listen to this soundtrack on my walkman, which shows you how old I really am.

I should get a long red bathrobe to wear at house parties.  I'd rather wear it at other people's parties, though.  Not mine.  But that would be ridiculous...I don't get invited to parties. Probably because I'd just do what Randy does in the next scene and bring movies and spend the whole thing watching them.  

I've been neglecting my "Bumper Stick" gag.  I feel terrible about it, because I think a good running joke is what this blog needs.  Potentials?  "What am I, the beer witch?"  "With my luck they'd cast Tori Spelling."  "I can only hear that Richard Gere Gerbil story so many times before I start to believe it."  "I want to see what your insides look like."

Y'know, it was a ballsy move to reference sequels in this film.  They must have really felt like they had a franchise on their hands.  I mean, they were right, but still.  My favorite thing about spoofs of these films, though?  Making (well deserved) fun of Tatum's murder scene.  From the over the top amount of damage the killer takes in it (not to mention most of the other scenes because, well, he's "human") to Tatum trying to doggy door which, I mean, is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a movie.

Another thing kids today won't get:  "Oh ,really, Alicia?!  As if?!"  

Pff.  Suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress does not make you selfish, Sydney.  Y'know, the relationship with Billy was pretty abusive before he was revealed as a psycho killer.  She gets a lot of shit for serious psychological and emotional issues before he tries to kill her.  But, of course he's a sociopath.  Anyone who says life is "just one big movie" basically has serious reality coping skills.

Y'know, movie: there's virtually no blood in "Halloween." Also, the "obligatory tit shot" isn't much in "Halloween."  PJ Soles shows them for half a second...and I've even seen some releases where we don't see them at all. Oh, the rules scene.

Goddamit the rules scene.  I loved it when I was sixteen, now it makes me cringe.  Sure, they're basically more or less accurate but...why is that movie?!  WHY IS THAT you shitheels?!  The metaphor is essential for understanding all of it.  Is it because they're supposed to be morality plays about the nature of capricious youth?  Plus, they only apply to slasher flicks and not all horror movies but that's me being a dickhead fanboy and nitpicking. 

Sorry.  I got a little worked up there.  I'm back now.

I remember totally falling for the death of Billy.  I had been convinced of his guilt since the first frame, and they did a great job throwing me off with his "death."  Pretty well done, movie.

Y'know, Billy and Stu were kinda lucky that the boat was parked where it was.  Their game would have ended pretty quick if it wasn't.

I think the best part of this film is Randy saying "Behind you" to Jamie Lee Curtis while the killer is behind him...and then Sydney and Kenny yelling "Behind ya!" to Randy as he does so.  Poor Kenny, though.  Kenny's last act was to try and help Sydney.  He motions towards the sliding door, signaling her to slam it shut.  Kenny was a hero.  RIP Kenny.

RIP, sir.  You were a hero.




Gale does not give him any dignity.  Poor, poor Kenny.

Another thing the internet always did that annoyed me: the over-analysis of the cop car door lock scene and, most stupidly, it proved that there was a third killer.  Because one guy couldn't have pulled that off?  Also, it was part of the ridiculous bargaining process that fans had over Randy's death in part two.  Seriously, there was so much "Randy isn't death" nonsense for a long time after part two...but I'll probably rail against all of that when I watch part two and point out that, yes, Virginia, there is Randy's dead body prominently shown.  They're doing the same thing with part 4 and Kirby...it's silly.  Fan theories are silly, except for my "The little girl in Red Eye was a secret agent" because it's rad.

Hey, Sydney, maybe if you hadn't said "Fuck you both" and let Randy in he wouldn't have gotten shot.  Billy was right: you are selfish.

I really did fall for the two killer thing the first time.  It was a clever subversion.  In the films wake the "killer(s) have to end up becoming manic, over-the-top, shouting Scooby Doo villains" got really annoying...but honestly, it probably always was but I don't think it happened as often before.  Any film that relied on "who is the killer," which didn't happen all that often anyway, usually didn't dwell on the "how" and "why" so much.

One big fatal flaw in their plan, and it wasn't underestimating Sydney...why did they stab themselves first?!  Why not finish off Sydney and then stab each other?  Also, copying movies really isn't "creative."  I don't believe in "Movies create psychos" any more than the later part of the quote, but they certainly don't promote creativity in the insane.  I do like Stus look at Sidney when she says "I like that ending."  He just looks so annoyed.

Matthew Lilliard really did become a better actor later in his career.  He's not stellar in this, though.  He does his over-the-top thing and it's kinda annoying.

Great use of the "Halloween" footage of the closet scene along with Sydney stabbing Billy from the closet.  Clever.  Really clever.  Doesn't call as much attention to itself as a lot of this films moments.

I don't know how I feel about the "they always come back" gag.  Eh.  Not so important.

So, how does it all come together in the end?  Well, for one, I'm still mad.  My thoughts about the nature of the film and its overall affect on the genre haven't changed.  I still think it did more harm than good by sort of exposing the tricks of the trade without any attention paid to the substance that really does exist within the genre.  In fact, I might say "Scream" is a triumph of style over substance in a big way.  Other than the meta-fiction "in-joke" it really doesn't talk about anything of real value.  

That being said: it really is a good film.  It's sleek and suspenseful and, while it sometimes veers into uncontrollable nutiness, contains mostly strong performances.  It's definitely stylish and well-mounted, even if it IS kinda shallow in the end.  Good film.

Final Rating: 3 and a half stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment