Saturday, December 26, 2015

Movie 119: The Vatican Tapes


Starring: Olivia Taylor Dudley, Michael Pena, Dougray Scott, Kathleen Robertson, Djimon Hounsou.
Director: Mark Neveldine.

This movie sort of got quietly released over the summer to little fanfare, which doesn't fill with me an overabundance of confidence in its quality.  I had kind of burned myself out on possession films way back in September when I made the foolhardy decision to marathon that subgenre without stopping to consider just how thoroughly that subject matter had dominated the past five years or so.  The fact that this movie-opening with a montage of news reports and footage of exorcisms-utilizes footage I recognize from the abysmal The Devil Inside also worries me somewhat.  But, I'm running new horror movies from this year for a reason, and this one qualifies, so let's do it.

Plus, y'know, Djimon Hounsou is a great actor.  And the fact that Kathleen Robertson is in it tickles me, and makes me wonder if it's 1996 again.  

So footage of a girl looking weird when shouting equates to the antichrist.  Okay, then.  I'm starting to regret going for another Catholic possession film...but, open mind, Nathaniel, open mind.

I'm not saying that every single film should automatically ditch any and all stereotypes and tropes.  But there are certain overused ones-such as "Dad hates whoever his Daughter is dating"-that just come off as lazy and unearned.  It could have its uses: like if the boyfriend actually was a dick or whatever, and you earn it, that's fine.  

Actress Olivia Taylor Dudley(who I've seen in not-so-great-films like Paranormal Activity:The Ghost Dimension and The Chernobyl Diaries)-starring here as Angela(like an Angel, GET IT?!)-comes across as a prettier version of Patricia Arquette.  So far she's giving a fine performance, even though we haven't been told a lot about her, and I have some high hopes for her here.  The script's decision to utilize stereotypes like birds crashing into windows is less encouraging.  But back to the point about Angela: I don't know who she is or what she's generally like.  There weren't many scenes detailing her personality, so other than her Dad and Boyfriend acting confused at her behavior, I have no idea how all of this possession stuff is actually changing her.  

Man, this is using way too many possession movie cliches for my tastes...including the baffling additions of security footage and weird, pseudo-intimate camera angles, hospital room reflections...I just don't get these stylistic choices.  It's like they only appear in possession films, too.  But all of this medical drama stuff isn't really doing the film any favors, nor is the story choice of having months pass by, too.  A scene of a doctor guy stabbing himself in the eyes could have helped...but they cut away rather than go with it.  Michael Pena as the Priest always look like an overgrown eight year old to me.  Man, is this sloppy.

After what seems like an eternity of mental hospital cliches, we're off to Vatican City for what almost assuredly will be Catholic cliches.  Well, instead of Djimon Hounsou coming to American to do exorcism stuff-which might have actually been interesting-we get the old white guy instead because every one of these movies wishes it was The Exorcist.  I just don't get these movies: how do they happen?  What makes a screenwriter sit down and write one of these?  Considering how alike they are, the writer would HAVE to be aware of the dozens of other films just like it.  I can only assume this is the result of studios believing in this basic formula.  But, really: even some tweaking could make it more palatable: maybe with less self-seriousness?  Different archetypes?  Ditch the pseudo-science and the security footage and all that?  Hell, some of the best possession films in some time have even gotten rid of Catholicism.  I know that the rite of exorcism is big in Christianity but maybe trying something different could breath some life into this dreadful subgenre.

Also, how about a dude being possessed for once?  Why is it always a girl who must be saved by a bunch of older white men?  But, really, I'd settle for just some decent writing and interesting original scenes that aren't just retreads of every other movie of its kind.  

At least it isn't found-footage.

Final Thoughts: Meh.  Big huge bowl of meh.  I've seen worse, and I like the idea of the Anti-Christ being a hot chick.  But this...well, I mean, we've seen it before.  Many, many times.

Final Rating: Two Stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment